Monday, 7 November 2011

Matrilineal Monday: Successful Hunting!

Periodically I review my family tree - last week it was my maternal grandmother's family's turn.  I revisited her siblings and, as one had a relatively unusual forename, I chose to track her forward.  It didn't take long to find her marriage, and I had a piece of luck - she and her husband were on a passenger list along with a daughter.  I was able to find her marriage and work out her daughters' names.  Again, I traced marriages and with a little help from Facebook and the wonderful Internet, was able to contact them.  That was late last week, and on Sunday evening I had a reply - I had the right family!

One of my "new" second cousins is interested in family history and we are already swapping stories, and preparing to scan photos and documents.  I am absolutely over the moon - this branch of my family is a relatively neglected one (in terms of my own research), and I have very little information on the family.  Thanks to cousin hunting, I will soon see a photograph of my great-grandparents, something I never imagined would happen.  It's been a great weekend :-)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Designed by 100 Web Hosting